As I share more of my weekend adventures over on Instagram, I’m getting more DMs asking for my advice. Whether that’s about Scotland, Edinburgh more specifically, or even blogging, I thought I’d start collating them all in one place. Hopefully this becomes a bit of a one-stop-webpage for the queries I usually get asked! And — if there’s something you’re thinking that isn’t here yet — you know what to do! Leave a comment below & I’ll add it to this list. Here goes…
What are the best Instagram spots in Edinburgh?
I should really do a whole article on this, eh? Until I get a blog post written, here’s a quick list of where you need to go to snap Edinburgh at its Instagram best:
- Calton Hill (sunset, take a tripod and your zoom lens, and train your camera on the Balmoral. Bliss)
- Circus Lane (that oh-so-cute-but-cliché street, lined with cottages, in the bourgeois area of Stockbridge. Blog & map here)
- Salisbury Crags (Arthur’s Seat’s quieter sister. Sit up here with a picnic and watch the light change on the city. Blog & map here)
- Dean Village (not far from the city centre, this former milling hub is now a calm oasis. Blog & map here).
I’m visiting Scotland. What places should be on my list?
Oooh, tough one. How do you sum up a whole country in a few sentences? I’ll give it a go…
If you’re planning a short stay, I think Edinburgh may well have it all: culture, castles and city vibes in a oner. If you’re more outdoorsy though, I’d suggest going to Glasgow for your stay. Not only does Scotland’s biggest city have some fantastic museums and a great social scene, but iconic landscapes like Loch Lomond and Glen Coe are easily accessible.
Want something a bit more magical? Head north. Places like the Isle of Skye, road tripping around the North Coast 500 or holiday like a local in Arisaig… The list is endless. Ping me a message if you have specific tastes and I’ll give you some ideas!
Where are your favourite Edinburgh cafés?
A list like this couldn’t start without Söderberg. This Swedish bakery is just a 15-minute walk from our flat and is our absolute favourite spot right now for coffee and cake. I love it so much, I dedicated a blog post all to it. Soderberg has numerous bakeries around the city, so you’re sure to cross paths with one on your visit. Other cafés I love are:
- Lovecrumbs (a 5-minute walk from the Grassmarket area of town)
- Burr & Co (in the heart of Edinburgh on George Street; to-die-for brownies)
- Milk at the Fruitmarket Gallery (right next to Waverley Station, blink & you’d miss it)
- Relish (a stone’s throw from the Shore area of Leith).
Any other questions?
Drop me a message on social media or email me at hello[at]laretour.com and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can!